History

One of the earliest residents of the Grandview area was George Cambridge Urlin. Mr. Urlin along with several other early pioneers purchased land above what would later become Goodale Boulevard with the hopes of establishing a small community. He and his colleagues laid out the plans for what would ultimately become Grandview Heights. The home of Mr. Urlin and his wife Alice, which was referred to as “The Urlin Mansion”, was located on the hill at Goodale Boulevard and Urlin Avenue which was named after him. The city’s name “Grandview” evolved from Alice’s exclamation of “What a grand view!” from the tower on their home.

Mr. and Mrs. Urlin had two daughters, Margaret and Claudine Urlin who were born in the home. Eventually, Claudine would marry Milton York France in the tower. A home was built for them on the property in what was referred to as the “North Pasture”, which is now 1042 Urlin Avenue.

In 1950 the Urlin Mansion was razed with plans of building a high rise on the property. Milton and Claudine sold the property to the developer, Scioto House, Inc.

It was a much anticipated event when the 23 story high rise in Grandview Heights was built in 1965 in the exact spot where the Urlin Mansion previously stood. The new building still uses the same Goodale Boulevard driveway as the original Urlin home.

Summit Chase was originally marketed as high-end luxury apartments until the 70’s when the apartments were converted to condominiums and sold as prime real-estate to eager buyers. Columbus’ Mayor Sensenbrener once proclaimed Summit Chase as the best thing for Grandview and Columbus.

Claudine (Urlin) France resided in one of the units for a time. Summit Chase also boasts the distinction of being the former home of John Glenn, former U.S. Senator of Ohio from 1974-1999, and a member of the Astronaut Hall of Fame. In 2002 a garden was dedicated to John and his wife Annie Glenn.

Information and photos courtesy of the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society.